Puccini: "Madama Butterfly"



"Un bel di, vedremo levarsi un fil di fumo sull'estremo confin del mare.

One beautiful day, we will see a thread of smoke rising from the extremes confines of the ocean.

E poi, la nave appare
and then the ship appears.

Poi la nave bianca entra nel porto, romba il suo saluto.
then the white ship enters the harbors, the canons sounding the salute.

Vedi? E venuto!
Do you see? He has arrived!

Io non gli scendo incontro, io non.
I don't go down to met him, not I.
Mi metto là sul ciglio del colle e aspetto, e aspetto gran tempo e non mi pesa, la lunga attesa.

I will go the top of the hill and wait, wait a long time, without thinking the wait is too long.

E.. uscita dalla folla cittadina un uomo, un picciol punto s'avvia per la collina.
And emerging from the city crowds, a man, a small dot, makes his way towards the hill.
Chi sarà? chi sarà? E come sarà giunto che dirà? che dirà?
chimerà "Butterfly" dalla lontana.

Who is it? who is it?and once he has arrived, what will he say? what will he say? He will call "Butterfly" from the distance.

Io senza dar riposto me ne starò nascosta
Without giving answer, I will stay hidden
un po' per celia, e un po' per non morire al primo incontro,
a little to tease him ,and a little so that I don't die at the first encounter
ed egli alquanto in pena chiamerà, chiamerà:
and he, ( in pain) all worried, will call
"Piccina mogliettina olezzo di verbena" i nomi che mi dava al suo venire
" My little wifey ( sorry, but it is a double endearment) fragrance of verbena, the names he used to call me when he first arrived.
tutto questo avvera, te lo prometto. Tienti la tua paura, io con sicura fede l'aspetto.
All this will happen, I promise you.
You may hold on to your fears, but I, with perfect faith, I will wait!
"











Comments